The New Jersey State Bar Association’s Nominating Committee invites members to apply for two available positions, with deadlines for applications later this month.
The position of the Monmouth County trustee on the NJSBA’s Board of Trustees runs from the time of nomination until May 2019. At that time, the nominated candidate may seek re-nomination for a full, two-year term.
To be eligible to be a county trustee, at the time of election candidates shall meet one of the following criteria: 1) the county trustee's home is located in the county; 2) the county trustee's office is located in the county; or 3) the county is the county trustee's primary county of practice and he or she is a member of the county bar association. (Article III, 1.)
In addition, the NJSBA is seeking a candidate to serve as a delegate to the American Bar Association’s House of Delegates for a full, two-year term, which begins at the conclusion of the American Bar Association (ABA) Annual Meeting in August. Delegates must be available to participate in the annual (held in August) and mid-year (held in February) meetings of the ABA at their own expense. Both meetings are held outside of the state.
To be eligible to serve as an ABA delegate, candidates must be members of the ABA.
All candidates for positions must be members of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
Criteria: The Nominating Committee will use the following criteria to evaluate all candidates interested in available positions:
1. Adherence to the highest standards of fairness, professional responsibility, civility and professionalism;
2. The quality of prior service to the organized bar;
3. Prior or present leadership positions and degree of effectiveness in these positions;
4. Dedication, capacity for hard work, and ability to fulfill all relevant duties;
5. Awareness of the NJSBA’s internal structure, in particular the duties for the position sought;
6. Demonstrated ability to synthesize and understand extensive information;
7. Demonstrated common sense, good judgment and the ability to articulate positions intelligently;
8. Prior service to the New Jersey State Bar Association and its constituent parts;
9. Prior service to county and specialty bar associations;
10. Extent of practice in the state of New Jersey.
Filing Deadline: In order to qualify for consideration by the Nominating Committee, candidates should email a request for a questionnaire stating their intent to apply for a specific position. That communication should be submitted to NJSBA Executive Director Angela C. Scheck at [email protected]. Upon receipt, candidates will receive a questionnaire by email, which will be due back no later than 12 p.m. on Monday, March 19. Direct any further inquiries to Scheck via email or phone, at 732-937-7500.