June 9, 2021
For Immediate Release
Contact: Kate Coscarelli
NEW BRUNSWICK - The New Jersey State Bar Association’s Nominating Committee invites members to apply for two vacant seats on the Board of Trustees for Section/Committee Trustee and for Young Lawyers Division Trustee. Both positions are for unexpired terms, and the selected candidates will serve from the time of nomination until May 2022. Each nominated candidate may also seek re-nomination at that time for a new, two-year term.
Section/Committee Trustees are elected from among the membership of NJSBA Sections and Committees. Candidates for Section/Committee Trustee must be NJSBA members in good standing, as well as active members of a section or committee, and, further, must submit an endorsement of at least one sponsoring section or committee, which may have been voted on by the entire section or committee, or by the section or committee’s governing body. A section or committee may sponsor only one candidate during any nominating cycle. Sections and committees may not have more than one Section/Committee Trustee sitting on the Board at any one time. [NJSBA Bylaws, Article VI, 4(c), Article VIII, 3(d)]. Sections and committees already represented on the Board, which are precluded from sponsoring a candidate in this cycle, include: the Child Welfare Law Section, the Criminal Law Section, the Family Law Section, the Health Law Section, the Immigration Law Section, the Labor and Employment Law Section, the Solo and Small Firm Section, and the Women in the Profession Section.
Young Lawyers Division
Young Lawyers Division Trustees are elected from the membership of the Young Lawyers Division. [NJSBA Bylaws, Article VI, 4(a)]
Criteria: The Nominating Committee will use the following criteria to evaluate all candidates interested in any of the available positions:
1. Adherence to the highest standards of fairness, professional responsibility, civility and professionalism;
2. The quality of prior service to the organized bar;
3. Prior or present leadership positions and degree of effectiveness in these positions;
4. Dedication, capacity for hard work, and ability to fulfill all relevant duties;
5. Awareness of the NJSBA’s internal structure, in particular the duties for the position sought;
6. Demonstrated ability to synthesize and understand extensive information;
7. Demonstrated common sense, good judgment and the ability to articulate positions intelligently;
8. Prior service to the New Jersey State Bar Association and its constituent parts;
9. Prior service to county and specialty bar associations;
10. Extent of practice in the state of New Jersey;
11. Geographical balance of the NJSBA leadership,
12. Recognition and understanding of the essential issues facing the organized bar, the profession, and capacity to lead in a creative, responsible fashion.
Filing Deadline: In order for a candidate to qualify for consideration by the Nominating Committee, they should send a letter stating the intent to seek the position of Section/Committee Trustee or Young Lawyers Division Trustee and request a questionnaire for consideration as a candidate before the Nominating Committee. All letters should include an email address for the candidate. Letters may be addressed to John E. Keefe Jr., Chair, NJSBA Nominating Committee, and emailed to Angela Scheck, Executive Director, at [email protected]
Upon receipt of such a request, a questionnaire will be forwarded by email, along with the required Section/Committee Trustee Sponsorship Form for Section/Committee Trustee candidates. Both the questionnaire and the sponsorship form must be completed and returned no later than 12 p.m. on Thursday, July 1, 2021.