The New Jersey State Bar Association’s Nominating Committee invites members to apply for two available positions, with deadlines for applications on August 25.
• The position of the Middlesex County trustee on the NJSBA’s Board of Trustees runs from the time of election until May 2021. At that time, the nominated candidate may seek re-nomination for a full, two-year term.
To be eligible to be a county trustee, at the time of election candidates shall meet one of the following criteria: 1) the county trustee's home is located in the county; 2) the county trustee's office is located in the county; or 3) the county is the county trustee's primary county of practice and they are a member of the county bar association. (Article III, 1.)
• In addition, the NJSBA is seeking a candidate to serve as a member of the Nominating Committee for a two-year term, beginning at the time of election until May 2022. The seat is designated for a member from one of the following under-represented groups: African-American, Asian American, Hispanic, LGBT, over 70, women and attorneys with disabilities.
All candidates for positions must be members of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
Criteria: The Nominating Committee will use the following criteria to evaluate all candidates interested in available positions:
1. Adherence to the highest standards of fairness, professional responsibility, civility and professionalism;
2. The quality of prior service to the organized bar;
3. Prior or present leadership positions and degree of effectiveness in these positions;
4. Dedication, capacity for hard work, and ability to fulfill all relevant duties;
5. Awareness of the NJSBA’s internal structure, in particular the duties for the position sought;
6. Demonstrated ability to synthesize and understand extensive information;
7. Demonstrated common sense, good judgment and the ability to articulate positions intelligently;
8. Prior service to the New Jersey State Bar Association and its constituent parts;
9. Prior service to county and specialty bar associations;
10. Extent of practice in the state of New Jersey.
Filing Deadline: In order to qualify for consideration by the Nominating Committee, candidates should email a request for a questionnaire stating their intent to apply for a specific position. That communication should be submitted to NJSBA Executive Director Angela C. Scheck at [email protected].
Upon receipt, candidates will receive a questionnaire by email, which will be due back no later than 12 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug 25.
Direct any further inquiries to Scheck via email or phone, at 732-937-7500.