The Legal and Government Affairs Department serves as the liaison between NJSBA members and the state's three branches of government. The Department assists in developing comments on court rules, regulations and legislation. The Department works with relevant Association sections and committees to advance the Association's legislative, judicial administration and amicus programs.
Additional services provided by the Legal and Government Affairs Department include:
- Assisting in the development of policies, programs and initiative that make the state bar an effective voice in legal developments that broadly affect New Jerseys lawyers;
- Coordinating the activities of the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee, the Amicus Committee and law-related ad hoc committees;
- Administering the Ethics Diversionary Program;
- Coordinating legal assistance programs, and
- Acting as counsel to the NJSBA, overseeing legal aspects of NJSBA transactions, contracts, litigation and employment policies.