The Minorities in the Profession Section and Diversity Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association are pleased to announce the annual BLACK HISTORY MONTH CONTEST for New Jersey high school students. This is an opportunity for students to showcase their knowledge and to encourage excellence in writing. We also aim to keep an open dialogue to educate our youth about the importance of Black History through this program.
This year’s essay topic centers around the repercussions of the Civil War as evidenced by the recent rise of discussion and debate about Confederate monuments. To participate, students must first submit a brief, qualifying essay explaining why they support or oppose the removal of these statues.
Next, essay finalists and runners-up will have the opportunity to compete in a trivia contest on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at the New Jersey Law Center in New Brunswick for cash prizes:
First Place $250.00 Gift Card
Second Place $150.00 Gift Card
Third Place $100.00 Gift Card
Runners-up $25.00 Gift Card
Click here to download the official contest rules.
• Qualifying essays must be received by midnight January 17.
• Essay finalists/runners-up will be notified by mail, email or phone on February 16.
• Students must confirm their attendance and participation in the trivia contest by February 23.
• Students will compete in a trivia contest and receive awards on February 27 during the Black History Month Program.
Black History Month Program
Tuesday, February 27, 2018
New Jersey Law Center, New Brunswick
Click here to register online
This is a FREE event featuring...
• Trivia contest featuring essay winners
• Art Exhibit by Lee Johnson of Trenton, NJ
• Music by the Trenton High School Orchestra
• Guest speaker, Sarah Collins Rudolph, survivor of the 1963 Birmingham, AL church bombing
• Award presentations and acknowledgements
This program is made possible through the generous support of our sponsors:
Archer & Greiner, PC
Stark & Stark
William T. Rogers III, Esq.
To become a sponsor of this event, download the sponsor form here