The New Jersey State Bar Association’s Nominating Committee invites members to apply for a vacant at-large trustee seat
, specifically designated for an African-American member
, on the Board of Trustees. This position is for an unexpired term, and the selected candidate will serve from the time of nomination until May 2017. The nominated candidate may seek re-nomination at that time for a full two-year term.
1. Adherence to the highest standards of fairness, professional responsibility, civility and professionalism;
At-large trustees are elected from among the membership of the NJSBA to represent segments of the membership not adequately represented on the Board of Trustees. The purpose of the at-large trustee positions is to promote inclusion of as many underrepresented segments of the membership on the Board of Trustees as possible. Article III, 8(f).
Candidates for trustee positions must be NJSBA members in good standing.
Criteria: The Nominating Committee will use the following criteria to evaluate all candidates interested in the available position:
2. The quality of prior service to the organized bar;
3. Prior or present leadership positions and degree of effectiveness in those positions;
4. Dedication, capacity for hard work, and ability to fulfill all relevant duties;
5. Awareness of the NJSBA’s internal structure, in particular the duties for the position sought;
6. Demonstrated ability to synthesize and understand extensive information;
7. Demonstrated common sense, good judgment and the ability to articulate positions intelligently;
8. Prior service to the New Jersey State Bar Association and its constituent parts;
9. Prior service to county and specialty bar associations;
10. Extent of practice in the state of New Jersey;
11. NJSBA’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, as outlined in the association’s diversity mission statement;
12. Geographical balance of the NJSBA leadership;
13. Recognition and understanding of the essential issues facing the organized bar, the profession, and capacity to lead in a creative, responsible fashion.
In order for a candidate to qualify for consideration by the Nominating Committee, s/he should send a letter stating the intent to seek the position of at-large trustee and requesting a questionnaire for consideration as a candidate before the Nominating Committee. All letters should include an email address for the candidate. Upon receipt of such a request, a questionnaire will be forwarded by email. The questionnaire must be completed and returned no later than 5 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 17.
All letters should be directed to:
Daniel Mateo, Esq., Chair, Nominating Committee
New Jersey State Bar Association
New Jersey Law Center
One Constitution Square
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1520
Attn: Angela C. Scheck, Executive Director
Letters may also be emailed to the NJSBA, as addressed above, to [email protected] or sent by fax to 732-828-0024, with the original following. Inquires may be directed to Scheck at 732-937-7500 or [email protected]