For Immediate Release
December 28, 2015
Contact: Kate Coscarelli
Senior Managing Director Communications
The New Jersey State Bar Association’s Nominating Committee has extended the deadline to apply for an At-Large Trustee position on the NJSBA’s Board of Trustees. Per the NJSBA bylaws, At-Large Trustees shall represent segments of the membership not adequately represented on the Board of Trustees [Article III, 8(f)]. As designated by the Board, members of any of the following under-represented groups are invited to apply: African-American; Asian-American; Hispanic; woman; lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender attorney; or senior lawyer over the age of 70. The two-year trustee term begins in May 2016.
Click here to read the NJSBA Bylaws
Candidates will be evaluated by the Nominating Committee for any of the available positions based on the following criteria (Article IV, 3):
1. Adherence to the highest standards of fairness, professional responsibility, civility and professionalism;
2. The quality of prior service to the organized bar;
3. Prior or present leadership positions and degree of effectiveness in these positions;
4. Dedication, capacity for hard work, and ability to fulfill all relevant duties;
5. Awareness of the NJSBA’s internal structure, in particular the duties for the position sought;
6. Demonstrated ability to synthesize and understand extensive information;
7. Demonstrated common sense, good judgment and the ability to articulate positions intelligently;
8. Prior service to the New Jersey State Bar Association and its constituent parts;
9. Prior service to county and specialty bar associations;
10. Extent of practice in the state of New Jersey;
11. Geographical balance of the NJSBA leadership, and
12. Especially for officer positions, demonstrated administrative capability and experience, and recognition and understanding of the essential issues facing the organized bar, the profession, and capacity to lead in a creative, responsible fashion.
Filing Deadline: In order for each candidate to qualify for consideration by the Nominating Committee, a letter of intention for the elective position sought should be submitted as indicated below. Upon receipt of a letter of intention, a questionnaire will be forwarded to the prospective candidate by email. Completed questionnaires must be received by the Committee no later than 12 p.m., Friday, Jan. 8. To facilitate a response, candidates should include an email address in letters of intention.
Letters may be emailed as follows: [email protected] or faxed to 732-828-0024. Please direct any questions regarding procedure to Angela C. Scheck, Executive Director, at 732-937-7500.
Hard copies of all letters and completed questionnaires should be directed to:
Daniel Mateo, Esq. Chair, Nominating Committee
New Jersey State Bar Association
New Jersey Law Center
One Constitution Square
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1520
Attn: Angela C. Scheck, Executive Director